Tuesday, August 26, 2008

ye shall run and not be weary, shall walk and not faint

Yeah, I could definitely use some assistance in this area 'cause I am definitely weary already, only two days into the school year!

Today I woke up at 6 am and went to my first class, institute, which was The Gospel and World Religions with Bro. Wold, which I can tell is going to be amazing! He has so much energy and his excitement about teaching makes me excited to learn. I am really stoked to learn about other religions and how they have pieces of truth in their doctrine and how I can look at their beliefs and make positive applications to the way I worship God and serve in the church. There was this really great quote brought up in class today that was said by Joseph Smith that says, "One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may...gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons." I really liked that quote because I have experienced many branches of Christian faith and many of them claim to be the only right church and work harder to discredit other faiths rather than support their own. I am so grateful of the open-mindedness of the church and its ability to draw knowledge and truth from so many different avenues. I forget what scripture it is, but there is one that says that everything on the Earth testifies of Christ, so with this scripture in mind it would make sense that we could gain a better testimony of the Savior, even through beliefs that seem to be far from our own, such as Buddhism or Islam. Wow, I am so excited for this class, can't you tell?

My next class was Educational Psychology, which doesn't seem to be too challenging, but was horrifically boring, like whoa. I was borderline falling asleep, but did my best to pull myself together since I was sitting in the very front.

Immediately following EDP I have Improvisation with Youth, which is like a theater class but for teachers, to learn how to respond on the spot to situations in the classroom and how dramatic activities and such can improve a child's learning. This class will hopefully be an easy A, woot woot, and Courtney Spencer, a friend from the Institute, and Kelly Doherty, a co-worker at In-N-Out, also have this class with me, so I am sure we will make it interesting.

Right after class got out at 11:30 I rushed over to work, I was actually scheduled to work 11-8 but I told them tough luck since I had class and I had already given them my schedule in advance so they had no excuse. Work wasn't so bad today, except as soon as I came back from my ten-minute break and had eaten my delicious turkey sandwich, I was ridiculously tired, so much that I was performing way below my abilities at work and some co-workers were actually concerned, ha ha. At around 3:30 I got to take my half hour break and I decided to lay down in the locker room. I turned off the lights, got a sack of clean linen and used it as a pillow, set an alarm on my phone just in case by some miracle I fell asleep, and just relaxed, as much as is possible on a dirty, hard, tile floor, ha ha. At 3:50 I awoke to the sound of my phone alarm and was completely shocked that I just passed out on the floor! When I came out, everyone was asking where I was and was almost as shocked as I was that I capable of just crashing on the locker room floor. I did feel a lot better though after my power nap! Boy was I just physically/mentally exhausted today! HELP!

Love, Madi

1 comment:

Rebecca Elizabeth said...

Hey girl, I know how you feel!! We're only two days into the semester, but it feels more like we're halfway through already, haha. I'm scared to think about what it'll be like in a few weeks...yikes! I'll have to remember that Gospel and World Religions class, it sounds soo interesting! Good luck this semester!!