Saturday, August 16, 2008

Anything you can do..I can do better!

This glorious morning I woke up at 630 a.m. to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes, thanks to my amazing roommate Ashley and the beloved Abby Christian who stayed over night, and also to this..



Ugggghhhh. First I freaked out for half a second because I had about 20 minutes before I was supposed to clock in at work, then I ran upstairs and got permission from Ash to drive her car to work, she is amazing, I would be lost without her. On my half hour break at work I called my dad, the conversation went something like this:

Madi: Hi Dad, so I definitely have a flat tire.

Dad: Well, who do you know that can put the spare on for you?

Madi: Andrew said he would do it, but he isn't off until 9 at night so it would be dark, I think I will just change it myself.

Dad: Madi, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me, can't you just wait for Andrew to get off?

Madi: What, you don't think I can do it? Dad, it can't be that hard, and just because I am a girl doesn't mean I can't do it and I need some big strong man to come fix it!

Dad: If you do it wrong you could get really hurt or killed! Do you want me to drive out there and do it?

Madi: No way, I can do it!

Dad: Well just call me if you can even get the lug nuts off.

Guess what? I DID get those dang lug nuts off, and I totally put the spare tire on allllll by myself!




The picture doesn't show it very well, but my hands were so black! I felt so cool :)

I am so proud of myself! See! Girls can do anything that boys can do! Even Andrew, one of my best friends from work, tried to talk me out of this, "Madi, Just let me change it after work, if not for me then for your poor Dad so he doesn't have to worry about you." What the heck, I don't see why they had so little faith in me but BOO YAH, I totally accomplished this, surprise surprise. I also feel really accomplished and semi-adultish because I also called my apartment complex staff on my break and firmly told them that I had not had hot water in three weeks, I want my some kind of credit towards my rent, and I want a copy of my lease to see what rights and services we are entitled to. I think this kind of freaked them out since they knew I meant business and they pretty much agreed to everything I requested, and the best part of all....I came home from work and HOT water was coming out of the faucet! YAY!!!!! I am so happy right now, I am so proud of myself for taking care of all these situations without asking for any help.

Love, Madison

2 comments:

Katie said...

Haha yay Madi!! You changed your tire!!!! Shoot, girl, if it makes any difference, I totally would have had faith in you. :) You really can do anything.

P.S. We are totally gonna have to go running together. I'm being pretty regular about it. I just don't go very far yet. :)

Kara Staples said...

That's awesome!! Way to show em girls are capable of doing masculine things.

I'll make you a deal... you teach me how to change a tire and I'll teach you how to play piano. Sound bueno?

I love you and can't wait to see you!