Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Nice White Lady

Oh my word finals are killing me.. I have to get 2 a's and 4 b's this semester or I will lose one of my scholarships, and my grades have really suffered from me working full time this semester so I am pretty much freaking out right now lol. I have three exams tomorrow then one exam on tuesday and a ten-page paper due tuesday, that I haven't even thought about writing yet, uh oh.

Yesterday in my cultural diversity class we talked about the concept of teachers being active moral agents for their students and this was really neat to discuss, basically how we should get our students thinking critically about society and the things they are learning. When I teach I really would like to teach in a school that is in a low-income area, at a school that is struggling, just because I think those are the kids who really want to learn but receive no help or encouragement from their schools and I want to teach those students who appreciate education and who will really benefit from me as a teacher. In class we watched this hilarious video that made me feel really stupid for wanted to go to a poor school and "fix things". Just because I am a "Nice White Lady" doesn't mean I can go into a struggling school and save all of the students, but hey I am going to try :)

3 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

Silly Madison. Those kids don't want to learn. That's why they're there. Ha ha. The sad thing is that it's pretty much true. I know. I worked in an inner city high school. Most of the kids just don't care. It's a cultural thing. Their parents and community don't value education, so they don't. It's really sad.

But seriously, that's an honorable desire - to help those less fortunate. It just sucks when they refuse to accept that help. It gets really frustrating sometimes.

The Parks Family said...

Okay, you need to watch the movie Freedom Writers. That video clip was a spoof on that movie. I loved the movie and it was so inspiring. I'll try to pick the book up for you at the library this morning. See ya this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Madison, I love you!!