Friday, May 9, 2008

Living with a shadow overhead

The last few days have turned from the biggest feelings of relief into the biggest feelings of disappointment. Tuesday I turned in my massive ten page paper, took my last final exam and then went to an In-N-Out company party at Dave and Buster's, which was a great end to my semester cause I had a blast! Wednesday and Thursday I went to Avondale to see my family and friends, which was also great, I had really missed them all. I came home Thursday night, and that is when my downward spiral began. I checked some grades and started out being ecstatic because I got a 92% on my final paper, putting me at an A for the class, woot woot, I then checked my grade for my online childhood development class, saw that I got a 100% on my final exam and was so stoked because that should have put me at another A, but I glance down and see that my final grade is a C, what the crap?! I checked the gradebook and apparently she did not receive my last two homework assignments, which I happened to bust my butt on and submitted on time through blackboard, but there must have been a computer mess up because she did not receive them, and there is no record of me ever turning them in. I e-mailed my teacher asking if there was anything I could do, she basically said "sucks to be you" I couldn't re-submit my assignments, even though I had them saved and it would take two seconds to submit them, she said she had submitted grades to the registrar and I should have been more responsible, ugh, how could anyone say that I am not responsible! So I have to talk to the department head and see if there is anyway I can get my grade fixed, there is pretty much zero chance though. I pretty much busted my butt this semester, working full-time and going to school, and I will still most likely lose my scholarship because of this one stupid class, and it isn't even my fault, if I actually didn't do the assignments I would accept my fate, but to lose my scholarship over this makes me feel so defeated, like I worked so hard for nothing. My grades will be as follows: A+, B, B, A, C (stupid), giving me a gpa of 3.18, just below the requirement of a 3.25 for my scholarship. Oh, and I might lose my other scholarship because my parents made to much, I am meeting with the guy in charge on thursday to figure things out.

It is very very very nice not being in school. I have time to get sleep..I have been working out every day, I have read a bunch of books, and I just feel so great about myself. The one thing I am not excited about is that I have to get a second job working with kids for my major. By august I need a letter of recommendation from my employer saying I work well with kids or whatever. So today I applied at the YMCA to be a summer camp counselor, but I told them I only want to work like 10 hours a week, since I will probably be getting close to 40 at INO. Lame.

3 comments:

Kara Staples said...

So sorry to hear the outcome of those assignments, Madison. That stinks big time, and you definitely deserve the A. I hate online classes for that reason.

Congrats again on the paper! I feel like she is a little biased as to whom she gives good grades to, but I'm glad you did! You were always participating and reading the assigned material.

Love you Madison! Good luck with your letter of recommendation! It's not anything to stress about, people are usually really nice about them. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about all that! I can imagine how stressed out you must be right now. You might want to take a look at this: http://coe.asu.edu/oss/grade_dispute.html. You might have a chance to pull your grade up to an A in your online class. My brother just had a similar situation with an online English class, but it all worked out for him after he talked to the teacher. Good luck with finding a second job and the letter of recommendation! I will be thinking of you lots!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, your grades aren't way underneath the cutoff, so chances are you can get on probation for your scholarship, especially since it's not like you spectacularly flunked a class! Don't let it go without a fight, I'll bet you can still keep it. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions, I'm the youngest of four kids who've all gone to college on scholarships, so I've learned how to deal with a lot of related crap.