Saturday, December 27, 2008

Count Your Many Blessings

I feel like every single day I have found something to be thankful for, and have really been pondering about it lately, so I will do as the hymn instructs, and name a few of them one-by-one.

1. My Job. Yes, I know I complain often about it, about how muchmy wrists ache from cooking, and the long hours, etc., but I am so grateful for the job I have at In-N-Out that allows me to have flexible hours during the semester and pays me enough that I can live comfortably on my own and pay for school on my own. Recently I had been praying for help with finances, the last month I had to take a lot of time off and was really concerned about having enough money, so I paid my tithing as had faith that I would be helped. No surprise, Heavenly Father made sure I was financially stable this month, in several ways. First of all, I got a major promotion last saturday and am now a "level 7", meaning I am authorized to run a shift and that I received a dollar an hour raise. Also, I was talking to my boss about buying Christmas gifts for my family and he mentioned that I should be able to get them something nice because he gave me a bonus on my next check! This blew my mind, I have never heard of anyone getting a bonus unless they were all-starring. I asked him why and he just said that I was doing a really great job and wanted to thank me. Major blessing right there.

2. The scriptures. For some reason I have found lately that all the scriptures I am studying seem to apply to me and really enlighten me, and it feels great. I hope I never take the scriptures for granted and really appreciate what I blessing it is to have easy access to the word of God, and to have a prophet who can help us to understand the scriptures even better.

3. My family. Another thing I might complain about too much. I rarely see my family because they are out in Avondale, but also because sometimes it's so hard for me to be around them for long periods of time because there is so much contention. Don't get me wrong, I love them all to pieces, individually, but once they are together they are quite the handful ha ha. This Christmas I wanted to promote family unity so I bought them all different games for us to play together, and it was a big success! The family favorite is this weird random game called Quelf. On Christmas Eve I played it with Mom, Alli, Ken and his two daughters, and it was so awesome to see my mom laughing and having a good time and everyone getting along for the most part. It was also pretty funny to watch my Mom and Sister do the can-can, as instructed by the card they drew. On Christmas, Alli and I played Quelf with Dad and he too had a good time! There are very few things that we can do together and actually enjoy it, but playing games seemed to be a hit! I am so grateful that everyone in my family is working harder to be more loving and kind to one another, I see such a difference in them and I know they are trying, even my sister seemes to be working at being kinder. I love my family and wouldn't trade them for anything.

4. Addison. Addison is a girl who I work with, she is 17, a member of the church, and is living with me for a few weeks. I am so grateful for her companionship, I know that if I had to be all alone in this apartment until Ash and Katie come home I would be so depressed! Addison is so fun to be around, and she is always cleaning the house! I kind of feel bad about it..but then again no ha ha she seems to enjoy cleaning.

5. Blankets. I have woken up freezing cold almost everynight and am really grateful for all of the warm blankets I received this Christmas, one nice one from In-N-Out and one homemade one from someone I work with through the White Elephant gift exchange, and both have kept me semi-warm almost every night. I think it should be appropriate to carry a blanket everywhere, and am wishing that I could bring one to church tomorrow.

6. Sleep. It has been so weird for me to have the time to sleep more than 6 hours, but I am noticing how much of a difference it really makes. I am more patient, my brain functions better, and I just feel better. mmmm I think I will get some sleep right now!

Goodnight,
Madison

4 comments:

*Hansen's* said...

those are great things to be thankful for. I love this time of year because it always seems to bring you back to reality and realize all things you already have.

Katie said...

Yay Madison!!!! You're awesome. I miss you!!!

Mrs. Courtney Lee said...

Love your list of things to be grateful for! (And by all means, take a blanket to church, if you want. hehe I do it all the time in my home ward.)

I miss seeing your smiling face! :)

Anonymous said...

a job... i think everyone complains about there jobs, but they gotta like it somewhat or they wouldnt do it. i know i see how you enjoy it but your always happy :D (which is one of the awesome things about you!). i know i have had a few jobs and never liked them very much, but they got better each time. the one i have now i complain alot about but it and recently all my work had paid off as it has in the past. i've learned whether you like your job (or anything really) or not, as long as you keep a good attitude you will always enjoy it. so keep up that good work and take over the In-N-Out world!!!!!
mmmm i LOVE in n out!

and sleep... i wish i could get that... my jobs making me into a morning person, i didnt think it was possible... im a night and a morning person... aka go to bed late wake up early.. :(


well im gonna comment all your blog entries i can :D even though im doing them backwards :p