Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Damsel in Distress

Today I received a piece of information from a male friend that really surprised me! So I was on the phone with this male friend, and just for background, we had discussed in the past few weeks the possibility of us dating. Now it wasn't a big deal, we had just kind of discussed what the pros and cons would be, and what both of our concerns were, and then kind of just left things undecided for awhile because I don't know why. Tonight he called and decided we needed to figure out where we stand. He knew that I really enjoyed his friendship, but could easily swing either way, whether it was friends or dating I really could have gone either way, no big deal. He told me that he had been kind of observing me to see if we would be good together, he didn't want to risk our friendship by dating when it wouldn't have a positive outcome, which is good, I am very glad that he took the time to consider these things rather than rushing something that would have been ineffective. So from his observations he learned that: 1. I am always trying to help others. Ok, I do try hard to help others, I could always do a lot more, but I do my best. This comment didn't really throw me off, I took it as a compliment. 2. I don't really need help from others very often and am ok standing on my own two feet. Yes, this is also true, another trait of mine that I have always viewed as a positive one, one that I really am proud of myself for. Apparently
(and this didn't bother me or hurt my feelings, merely surprised me)he concurred that because of trait #2, it would be unsuccessful for us to date because he wanted to be with a girl that needed him and he could take care of. This blew me away! Guys want needy girls? Wow. If you recall the instance in previous blogging where I changed my own flat tire, my dad had told me very bluntly that I should have had a boy do it because guys do no want girls who do not need their help! Who would have thought that my father actually knew what he was talking about! So, I am unsure about what I will do with this new tidbit of information. Should I remain relatively in charge of my needs and be i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t...OR become the damsel in distress and convince the male species that I am in great need of their help and attention? I think I will need to reflect on what it is that the male species is seeking, in correlation to what it is that I am seeking.


Love,
A thoroughly confused Madison

2 comments:

Brady & Alexes Brown said...

tell him to get over himself... I think that any single girl NEEDS to be independent... who should you depend on if you don't have a boyfriend? Yourself, thats who. Maybe what he doesn't realize is that if you two were to become a couple, you would eventually start to depend on each other. The fact that you are independent right now is a good thing :) Some girls aren't like that and fall for any guy who they come into contact with... so all I have to say is good job hunny!!!

Anonymous said...

well... dont EVER change for no one! ever! (except yourself) you are madison and you should always be :p and madison is a pretty amazing person :)keep being that special madison i knew back in garden lakes ward :p
ive learned sometimes friends is better because trying something if either one of you dont think it will work makes the friendship part hard
but if you have a friend that you think can be more then go for it, even if that doesnt work you can still be friends (but it would be awkward for a little while) but you can never know unless you try, thats a mistake i make way to often