Sunday, October 5, 2008

Find Joy in the Journey-NOW

I love General Conference. Even though it is at such an early hour and allows me to get about 4 hours of sleep after closing at work, I love the great messages from modern day apostles and prophets. Today I was very grateful to be able to watch general conference in Avondale with The Parks family, I really don't get to see them as often as I like and love when I get the opportunity to spend time with their family. I am exhausted right now, so I will just write a few of my favorite conference moments.

1. Elder L. Tom Perry- The importance of living a simplistic life. He stressed the importance of living within your income and the importance of saving. I was glad to hear this message because it seems like since school started money has been a bit tighter, but when it comes down to it I need to just stick more closely to my budget and not spend money on stupid things, like food when I am too lazy to make my lunch. He also brought up the importance of getting enough sleep, which is something I really need to work on, since 4-5 hours a night probably isn't enough.

2. Sister Allred- Missionary work. I like that she said that in order to be a good missionary you need to have a clear understanding that God loves ALL of His children. I think it is just so important that we do not judge others, even when it seems warranted. Even when someone seems to give us reasons to judge I think it is so important to remember that only the Savior can judge us.

3. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin- Learn to Laugh. First of all I love the story he told about his daughter and the blind date, and second, I completely agree that if we can laugh at the little things that get us down instead of getting upset than we can be so much happier.

4. Elder Gerald Causse- Our Eyes are blind, you have to seek with your heart. The message of the gospel is simple, we should not complicate it and need to remember that knowledge comes from the spirit and through our hearts.

5. Elder Robert D. Hales- True disciples see the opportunity in persecution. Why do we fear pesecution? It gives us an opportunity to share this great message. Yes, it is hard at times, especially when some mock that which we hold so sacred, but we should try to see the missionary opportunities that come with those criticisms.

6. President Thomas S. Monson- In everything give thanks!

1 comment:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I love your briefing of general conference! If everyone could be as stall ward as you in their efforts to be a stronger member of the church we would all be better saints! I think you are amazing and keep on holding to that rod! You rock babe!