Friday, May 30, 2008

The Secret Journal


I just finished an amazing book! I pretty much read it nonstop the last two days until I finished last night at 5 am ha ha, I am such a nerd. It was an LDS fiction called The Secret Journal of Brett Colton. It was about a girl who is 16 and just having a tough time in high school but on her 16th birthday she gets a letter from her older brother who passed away when she was only two. Her brother, Brett, had written in a journal specifically to her during his last two years of life. Towards the end of the journal Brett starts getting interested in church and also leaves her a Book of Mormon that he has read, highlighted, wrote notes in. This book was so good and I suggest you all read it! Here is a quote of my favorite part. In this scene the main character, Kathy, is at the hospital visiting a friend, who is LDS, and witnesses a priesthood blessing.


"If someone had asked later what words were spoken during that prayer, I couldn't have told them because of what washed over me, engulfing me completely. I honestly had never felt anything remotely like it before. Ever. The quiet, calm, peaceful power of it took me completely by surprise. I had no idea what I was feeling, but tears formed in my eyes and my heart pounded. The only feeling I could possibly relate it to was stepping from a cold room into bright sunlight, only instead of feeling warm on the outside, the warm, glowing sensation I felt was inside me. It was overwhelming."

2 comments:

Kara Staples said...

Yummy. That was such a good book! I loved it as well.I'm pretty sure it's one of the few books that moved me to tears. I'll have to put that on my list of books to (re)read this summer!

Jordanne said...

That was one of my favorite parts too! I thought she described the spirit so perfectly which surprised me because its really very hard to describe something like the spirit! I cried so much in that book but it was a good crying! which is different for a book! It definately made it on to my top five books!