Friday, January 16, 2009

Driving University

In December I took a lovely trip up to Snowflake to visit the temple and on the way back was unsuccessfully learning how to drive through mountains and was pulled over for speeding; apparantly I suck at downshifting. So, today, all day, I took an online driving course and this is what I learned...

The refrigerator was patented in 1899
There are 119 grooves on the side of a quarter
Brontology is the study of thunder
Celery has negative calories
The black box in airplanes is actually orange
Creators of computer viruses are usually between 14-24 years in age
Arnold Schwarzenegger reversed and ran over his dog on his 40th Birthday
The exterior used for Jerry Seinfeld's apartment is Los Angeles

In order to ensure that students actually read the content there were quiz questions at the end of a section. Sometimes the question was relevant to the content, other times they referred to the random facts that were embedded in the content. They were my favorite bits of imformation to come across.

Aside from the random facts I did learn some new things about driving, such as "It is better to wait and arrive at your destination a few minutes later, than to arrive at a premature death in a head-on collision." The course was VERY dramatic, and was constantly warning me of the my potential death. At the end of each section it would say, "Be smart while driving your one-ton weapon"

I think I will ride my bike to work today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That may be my favorite line ever! "Be smart while driving your one-ton weapon." Good to know I'm super cool and get to cart around a weapon all the time!