Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Becoming something I can't define

This week has been pretty intense, no surprise there. Everyday is the same cycle of school, work, then about 5 hours of sleep. It is getting old reaaaal fast. I am seriously contemplating just getting in my car and driving. My birhtday is at the end of the month and I will get a three day weekend off work, so maybe I will drive myself to the beach, so I can just relax and recoop.

Today in my theater class we started learning about improvisation and we had to do an activity where we are given a topic and had to improv the situation with a partner. It was hilarious. Example:

Instructions: Person A has a crush on person b and you are at a school dance. person a has to try and get person b to dance with them, while person b does not want to dance yet does not want to hurt the other persons feelings.

Julia (A): So, are you having a good time?
Me (B): Ehh it's ok, I am not really into dances
Julia: Well do you like this song?
Madi: I actually have never heard it before
Julia: Really? It's on the radio all the time
Madi: Oh, well I don't listen to the radio, I only listen to my grandparents recordings of organ music
Julia: Oh, well can you dance to organ music?
Madi: Nope, you can only think, deep thoughts, to organ music
Julia: Well, maybe you can try dancing to this song anyways
Madi: Actually I have a doctor's note, no dancing whatsoever tonight
Julia: Why?
Madi: I recently had my left leg amputated, and the doctor said if I dance on my prosthetic leg that it would fall off and disintegrate.

My partner was just dying laughing, we had such a blast.


Last night I went running with my beautiful roommate, Katie Bug, and we were just talking about how much we have changed within the last year, and I realized that slowly I am turning into the kind of person I always envied in high school, the person I wanted to become so badly. The kind of girl who can lay on a bench in the middle of campus and just listen to her ipod, without worrying what other people think; the kind of girl who can be exactly who she wants to be, whether its thoughtful and reserved one day or weird, random and loud the next; the kind of girl who feels a real, true relationship with her loving Heavenly Father (finally, I have been searching for this for years); the kind of girl who feels absolutely free and independent as she coasts on her longboard; the kind of girl who feels confident in herself even when she is beet red and drenched in sweat after a run; the kind of girl who has real friends who she feels 100% comfortable with and who she can't imagine her life without; the kind of girl who sings at the top of her lungs, no matter who is listening; the kind of girl who has absolutely no idea what life will be like in the next 10 years, 5 years, 1 year, 6 months, or even 6 weeks, yet has a perfect knowledge that all things will be for her good and trusts in the one who holds her life in His hands.

I love my life. Every sleepless night, every awkward stumble into a lecture that has started without me, every flat tire/broken water heater/power outage/burned out tail light, every aching muscle after a ten hour shift at work. It's a difficult journey at times, but it would be so much harder if I didn't learn to enjoy every moment of it.

Love, Madi

2 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

The most wonderful thing in life is being able to see yourself as Heavenly Father does and as those around you do. You are this same amazing girl to me! Just I would let you know.

KP said...

hey madison!
i am so glad i have your blog address because that was a great post and made me smile!
(if you dont remember me, im the random girl you met at institute like the 2nd week of school..haha) yay--we are blog friends now!

Kellie