Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Dur-Ham Sandwich

What is a dur-ham sandwich you ask? That is what I have entitled this semester, the Dur-Ham Sandwich. My first and last classes are located in the Durham Language building, and I have 3 classes nonstop in between, no breaks, it is epic. What is on this sandwich of epic proportions? Allow me....

1. The Bottom Bread: A croissant, nice and light, easygoing, absolutely delicious. My spanish literature class is going to be a piece of cake...I mean bread. There are like 3 other RM's in that class, strength in numbers. The teacher is way laid back and I really enjoy her spanish, it is clear and easy to understand, and just nice to listen to.

2. Ham (It had to be ham, it's a dur-ham sandwich): The meat of my day, Institute. I am taking a class on the Doctrine and Covenants and am soooooo excited. I love my teacher and know that I will learn so much under his preparation. This class is what is going to help me to survive this semester and help me to keep myself focused on what is really important: the relationship that I have with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

3. Habanero Peppers: The hardcore, wake you up in the morning, energetic class, Adv. Conversational Spanish. My teacher is a firecracker, and I love it. She is from Argentina and I love her accent, and I love that she talks to us in Vos. My favorite quotes by her today were (translated for the spanish impaired), "This class is SUPER boring, I hate teaching it," "I am lazy, so I am gonna try and change the syllabus so your writing assignments are shorter." "Hell for me would be sitting in a room stacked high to the ceiling with papers that need to be grade and the stacks don't get smaller." This class is going to be awesome.

4. Lettuce: BORING, does it even have a flavor? Or is it merely added for texture? This is my class about bilingual learning in schools, and it is taught in english, so it is like the odd class out in my schedule of all spanish classes. I feel utterly lost and speechless in this class. When the teacher says, "Are there any questions?" I think, "Cuando se entrega la tarea que apenas asigno ella? Como hago esa pregunta en ingles? Oh, ya estan hablando de otro tema :/" (translation: when is the homework due that she just assigned? How do I ask that in english? Oh, now they're talking about something else :/) I know, I should be able to handle a class in my native tongue, but when 4 of my 5 classes are in spanish, and I try to basically immerse my entire life in spanish, I struggle just a teeeeeny bit with english. Ugh.

5. The Top bread: Stale, boring, white bread that has been stepped on. That's basically how I feel in that class, Spanish Civilizations. My profesor is an older man and when he speaks it's is in a deep, mumbled voice, that I can't understand 40% of the time. I try focus alllll of my energy on understand what in the world he is saying and on laughing when he makes an attempt at a joke. Hopefully my ears/brain will get used to the way he talks and it will all click, but if not, I will be as useful in that class as a piece of stale, boring, white bread that has a shoe print on it.

Doesn't that just sound like a really nasty, unappetizing sandwich? Thank you Kid History for restoring to me a large portion of joy after having to eat the nasty Dur-ham sandwich today.




1 comment:

Katelin said...

You forgot about the equally as epic plate that your sandwich begins on! The excitingly-hilarious-brightly colored plate that you love very much..named HOOT. An epic start, to and epic sandwich..i mean day..epic day. I love you Nic Nac Maddi Mac! Our semester is going to R.O.C.K....in O-SO-epic proportions. :)