Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Current Trend

Today's "Everyday Shakespeare" Calendar Quote

"I say, we will have no more marriages. Those that are married already, all but one, shall live. The rest shall keep as they are." -Hamlet

Translation

"I hereby declare we will have no more marriage. Whosoever is already married (except one person I know) will stay married. Everyone else will have to stay single"

My Thoughts

It seems like everyone and their mom is getting married..or maybe everyone and MY mom, haha, she's engaged but doesn't have a date..long story whatever. Anyways, it seems like every sunday someone, or sometimes two couples stand up to announce their engagement. I have a plethora of wedding announcements hanging in my kitchen and am so excited to go to the receptions and party it up and celebrate their awesomeness as a newly married couple. I just thought this quote was really funny, especially since everyone is getting married. What if President Obama had a press conference and said this? How bizarre would that be? Thank goodness that would never happen, and that even if it did I am sure our church would find ways to allow its members to marry since it is so pivotal to our growth and becoming more like God. It seems like the topic of marriage is always buzzing around me, from friends, roommates, Brother Hofeling, etc. Last week I told Bro. Hofeling about my decision to serve a mission and he is still set on me getting married this summer, which seems so funny to me! 1. I don't date, which is not a problem or a complaint, I don't have time for a boyfriend or dating. 2. How am I supposed to be married in the next 6 months if I don't even have any potentials? Brother Hofeling is convinced that I am surrounded by potential husbands, anytime I mention a boy doing something nice for me, even if its just a hug when passing, Bro. Hofe usually says, "Oh maybe he is the EC! Want me to talk to him?" I love Bro. Hofe but goodness gracious, he can be so ridiculous sometimes. I will love being married one day, when the time is right for me and when Heavenly Father thinks I am ready and sends me someone who is perfect in everyway to spend eternity with me. But, for now I am 100% content living the single life and am even more excited to serve my mission!

2 comments:

Jesse B. Hannah said...

Pretty much the same thing here from the other side. For one thing I'm leaving on a mission this summer, so obviously for me to get too seriously into dating wouldn't be the best idea at this point. For another thing, I've learned (the hard way) that the best way to guarantee yourself endless girl/guy troubles is to become completely obsessed with getting or having a boyfriend or girlfriend; you just end up trying to hard, and that never ends well, so the best thing to do is just sit back and let things happen, make lots of friends of your own as well as the opposite gender, and eventually you'll meet someone (or several someones) with whom you just seem to click. It isn't something that can be forced (again, I learned this the very hard way, I can't stress that enough—it's no fun).

And, at least from my point of view, the girls are always all about the return missionaries anyway, so there isn't much point in me trying at all until I finish my own mission.

Kristin said...

I remember the good ol' days when I wanted to serve a mission...
HA!
Don't think too much about guys. They are dumb. Except for THE ONE. He'll be amazing. When you find him, you'll just know.
I'm glad you told me you were stalking my blog. Isn't blog-stalking the best? :)