Friday, February 27, 2009

Tithing

I am a firm believer in the power in paying a full tithe. There have been several times in my adult life, since leaving home, when I couldn't afford to get all of my bills paid and then at the last moment I received just enough money to pay my bills randomly. Although in this instance I wasn't about to miss a bill payment, I was just stressed by the amount of debt I have acquired since losing my scholarship. Recently I had been praying for help financially, for a way out of this debt so I can begin saving, and last week my prayer was answered. My dad called me up and said that he had filed my taxes for me, and although I had paid almost 3,000 in taxes this year he regretted to inform me that I was only going to be getting 300 dollars back for my refund. I wasn't too upset, it's better than nothing, I was just hoping it'd be a lot more. My dad then said that he had gotten a lot back and was going to give me 700 so that my total refund would be 1,000! This might be something normal for some, but for me it was VERY unexpected. My parents haven't given me money since I was 16, so this was definitely a blessing for my faithful tithe paying. Then on the same day I took my mother to the temple visitor's center (which was amazing, ask me in person if you want to know why) and after leaving and going to get lunch my mom gave me 200 to help with bills! This money was exactly what I needed to pay off my credit card in full :) So, all that was left to pay off was my tuition for this semester. Yesterday I got a pretty awesome paycheck and was able to pay for all of my tuition except 100, so I am almost debt free!!! YAY!

Once all of my debt is paid I can finally start saving money again. Right now I only have like 150 in savings, which is the smallest amount thats ever been in there and it makes me so sad. In an attempt to motivate myself to save more and spend less I made this chart to hang in my room. It is pretty overwhelming right now but I really want to save money just so I can pull out the red marker and color in more.




Isn't that little sliver of red oh so depressing? haha. And yes, I think I have finally come to a decision on my plans for next fall: full-time mission :) I turn 21 in september so I can turn in my papers in june I think. Just about everyday Bro. Hofeling says I could be married by then, since I think he would rather see me married than on a mission, but I just laugh and tell him that this is what I want. I can't wait to go! On the huge blank part on the right side of my chart I want to put scriptures that talk about blessings and sacrifice and missionary work, just so I can have the right perspective about all of this. If you know of any good ones please let me know!!

3 comments:

Russell Earl Kelly said...

May I respond to your worldwide Internet post requesting comments.

Genesis 14:18-21: Nothing Abraham did is an example of faith for the Church. (1) only pagan spoils of war, (2) not his own property, (3) he gave it all away and (4) he gave the 90% to the king of Sodom.

Numbers 18:202-29: The tithing law required those who receive tithes to forfeit land ownership. It also demands tithes be paid to servants to the prissts and only one percent be given to the priests. Churches do not teach this.

Deuteronomy 28 and 29: The entire law was a TEST. Obey and be blessed; disobey and be cursed. The only way for Hebrews to be blessed by tithing was by observing all 600+ commands of the OT law which is impossible. See also Neh 10:29; Mal 4:4.

Malachi 3:10 has been replaced by Galatians 3:10; 1:8-9; 3:1-2 and 2 Cor 3:10.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

DEFINE TITHES: Although money was common in Genesis and essential for sanctuary worship, money is never included in 16 texts which describe the content of tithes.

DEFINE FIRSTFRUIUTS: Tithes were not firstfruits. Firstfruits were extremely small token offerings. Compare Deut 26:1-10; Neh 10:35-39; 12:44 and 2 Chron 31:5.

Matthew 23:23: Jesus only discussed tithing as "matters of the law." Tithing is never commanded o the Church in terms of grace after Calvary.

Gentiles were never under Hebrew worship laws (Ex 19:5-6; Acts 15:10-11, 19; 21:20.

NT giving is: freewill, generous, sacrificial, joyful, not by commandment or percentage and motivated by love for God and lost souls. Especially 2 Cor 8:12-15.

www.tithing-russkelly.com

Lauren said...

Madi, You are so amazing! I think that's amazing that you are working so hard to serve a mission. I just started a mission prep claas this semester and BOY its an amazing amount of work. hahah. Well I will be in Gilbert from April- September for an internship, and I would LOVE to see you and catch up on life hahah since high school.:-) keep staying strong!

Rebecca Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness, yay!!! I'm sooo excited that you've decided to go on a mission, even though I will miss you lots and lots!! You're already a blessing to me and so many people in our ward and at the institute because of your sweet spirit, example, and testimony, and I know you're going to bless so many more lives wherever you serve. I love you!!!!

P.S. I want to hear all about your mom on Sunday, yay!!