Monday, March 9, 2009

It's Official..almost

Last week I began the early stages of an amazing, yet daunting journey. My Mission papers. On Monday I met with the bishop and he gave me all the paperwork, all 23 pages of them, eek. This is why I decided to start them so early, since I work so much and there is so much I still have to do it will probably take me quite some time. I cannot submit my paperwork until June 28th, so that should give me plenty of time to get the paperwork done, go to all four doctors appointments, get all the clearances, get my wisdom teeth out... :/, and so on and so on. As soon as I had those papers in my hands I knew that this is exactly what I am supposed to be doing. For the last year I have bounced back and forth, never really coming to a conclusion, but now I am firm in my decision and am so excited and wish I were able to leave sooner! Unfortunately, I don't turn 21 until September 28th so I have another 6 months until I can leave. Fortunately, this gives me enough time, hopefully, to raise all of the money for it on my own, spend time with my family and try and leave them with an understanding of my motives and gain their support, and party it up with my friends who I will terribly miss for the one point five years that I am serving. Anonther big deal is that I am moving home to live with my dad in Avondale as soon as school gets out so that I can save money. I will still be driving to Tempe pretty much daily to work and for church on sunday but I will be trying to spend as much time with them as possible before I leave.

My biggest fear about the mission is that I will get so caught up in being this perfect Mormon that I will lose myself in the work, in a negative way. Some of the sister missionaries I have met seem so...fake? lacking personality? void of fun? constant companions with the little white handbook? I don't know about you but I don't think you need to be boring to be a good teacher or to share what you know. I hope as a missionary I will be fun and full of energy and life. I don't want to become a boring version of myself. I think the elders are pretty good at staying fun on their missions..at least the ones who taught me the lessons were good at being a blast and a half


(their instructions were: Look as if Jesus were ascending from the heavens)



See! Missionaries can be themselves and be fun and people still get baptized! haha :)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Madi, I am so proud of you! What a big step. I hope I get to see you this summer when I am in az.

The Tanner and Bryan Experience said...

That is so exciting!!!!! I'm working on my papers too. I should have a call by april!

Lyndee said...

yeah yeah yeah! that is so exciting! You will be the funnest missionary ever!

Rebecca Elizabeth said...

HA, I laughed out loud at those pictures...missionaries are the best!!! And I am still sososososo excited for you!! You're going to be absolutely amazing, and I am sure you will still be your fun, bubbly self!!!