Saturday, February 14, 2009

EFY?

Wow, haven't posted in like a month! Sorry! I have been extremely busy working the usual 35 hours a week..trying to not prorastinate this semester in school..and actually having fun and enjoying my life when I can find the time. One exciting thing I have experienced was my interview last week to be an EFY counselor over the summer! I want to get hired pretty badly since I never had the opportunity to attend an EFY, I was 18 when I was baptized..I should have gotten baptized sooner! The interview was a group interview, so there was about ten of us and one person who asked all of us questions. First we all introduced ourselves and then she said she was going to give us about 2 minutes to just discuss what a "climate of revelation" was. I had absolutely no idea what that was and had never heard that term before. The other girls started talking about having a good environment for the youth at EFY so that they can receive personal revelation there, so I started to figure out what the phrase was generally about, so I said that I thought it was even more important for us to teach them how to prepare themselves to receive and understand personal revelation, so that they can receive it no matter where they are. Then we each drew a scrip. out of an envelope and teach a 2 minute lesson on it, I drew Helaman 5:12, and I totally nailed the teaching part. Then she asked individual questions to each of us, my question was to tell about an experience where you had to make a difficult decision, and the whole group laughed because they all knew I was a convert. So, I went with the obvious and talked about how I joined the church even though I didn't really want to be a Mormon, I just knew it was what God wanted for me, and how I had to do it with very little support. I think the interview went really well! I feel like the interviewer really liked me :) Hopefully I will get hired, we shall see in 6-8 weeks!

3 comments:

Rebecca Elizabeth said...

You would be an amazing EFY counselor!! You have such a strong testimony and are a great example to so many people. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

shirley elizabeth said...

There's no question that you'll make it. AND, EFY is so much fun! I totally didn't want to get married before this next summer so I could do it again. I really miss it. Darn Mike. But really, you are perfect for EFY. No joke.
The thing about those interviews is that I don't think they really care about what you say, it's all about the impressions and promptings the interviewer gets. In my interview there were a couple people that I was kinda questioning just because I knew them and what they were all about. Even though we all said great amazing things (mormons are good at that), I wasn't surprised when those certain kids didn't make it.

So what this all equals is that you will be hired. Because you are who they are looking for. And I'm so excited for the kids who will be in your group!

And, where did you apply to? I did the flagstaff sessions, which are huge and so fun, but also did Salt Lake at Utah State, which are smaller sessions, but had an absolute blast!

JennaK said...

I always wanted to go to EFY, but my parents didn't get into that until AFTER me (all my younger brothers went!). And then in college, I applied to be a counselor, but they rejected me. :( But I think you would be great. Assuming that I know what an EFY counselor does/is, since I never went. But from what I've seen (I always saw the EFY groups on campus at BYU when I was there), it seems that you would definitely fit! Good luck!