Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power"

Today an old LDS friend from the west side of town asked me, "How is the dating life going?" I laughed. It is nonexistent. Then I came home from work and found the Ensign in the mail, and what do I see on the cover? "Single and Steadfast, Lessons in Hope" and "Making the Most of Our Single Years". I was actually quite surprised that the articles didn't make all single people seem like failures, since that is sometimes the feeling I get when dating is discussed within the church. I kind of get that feeling that if you aren't married, something is wrong with you, which I really don't like because I KNOW nothing is wrong with me, and I know that Heavenly Father is preparing someone who is perfect for me, I just need to be patient. My friends are always badgering me to date more, one friend even suggested joining an LDS online dating service. I just don't get it! Yes, I would love to be dating right now, but I don't think that I am abnormal if I am not dating currently. I was so happy to read this month's Ensign describe to singles that we should not be in despair at our lack of a marriage partner but instead enjoy our time as single adults and use it wisely. That is EXACTLY how I feel. Yes, I do get a little sad and impatient when I get wedding invitations in the mail, almost weekly, but marriage is something so sacred and beautiful that it seems silly to rush around trying to find it. In the Ensign it says, "setting a timetable for marriage is like setting a timetable for disappointment," which I am beginning to really believe. I have caught myself saying things like "If I am not married by THEN I will be in trouble" and things like that, but I feel like I am starting to understand that marriage is something I truly long for and hold sacred, but that those feelings do not need to define me and I am just enjoying life being single. yay.

love, madi

2 comments:

Katie said...

Girl you're awesome. We're gonna have so much fun this year being single! ;)

Anonymous said...

Dude. Your what, 19? 20? Why on earth should stressing about marriage even be a problem?

I swear, Mormons are the only people strange enough to think we need to be married by 21. Trust me, you've got PLENTy of time!