Friday, September 2, 2011

Observations

Throughout the week as I go about my classes, work, etc. I have had the opportunity to make many many many observations about the world around me, the people I associate with, and about myself in general. It is so fun! Here are a few of those observations, mixed in with some random funny things that have happened this week.

1. The world teaches us that we should focus on the negative, the Gospel teaches us to focus on the positive.
In my favorite class, the same one where we made the joy lists, our teacher asked us as a class to name one good attribute about ourselves and how that trait helps us to find joy. My class is usually pretty talkative but no one said anything. I looked at my classmates and it seemed as if they were searching within themselves yet struggling to come up with anything good they had to offer. My teacher finally said that we all have good traits and that she wanted to hear them already. Still, no one said anything. Eventually I raised my hand and said, "I don't get angry very often or easily. I am not offended easily and I focus on the bigger picture instead of the small trials I have everyday. That helps me to have a positive outlook and remain happy." I figured after I spoke that my classmates might have gained the courage to speak up but still, no one said anything! So, my teacher ended up calling each of them one by one, and it was almost like pulling teeth. This made me so sad! I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have, because of the gospel, that I am a Daughter of God and that means that I have been blessed with certain character traits that will help me return to Him after this life. I really wish that every one of my classmates knew and understood that.


2. "This conjugation is the past, this is more in the past, and this is like the pastest that you can go." SPA 412 Profesora

3. Don't text in class. Your teacher will write down your name on her roster and take away your participation points for the day. :( Dumb.

4. The high five is more complex than you think. I sit next to this girl, who I like to call Cousin, in my BLE220 class and I just so happened to have trained her at In-N-Out when I was All-Starring at the Signal Butte Store like 3 years ago. Anyways, we analyzed the high, middle and low fives and this is what we came up with.
High Five: power, triumph, encouragement, just pure awesomeness shared between two people with hands.
Low Five: secret accomplishment between the two, celebration of a triumph in front of a bunch of losers that you don't want them to see.
Middle Five: Borderline patty-cake. Don't do it. Ever.

5. "Un beso para ti" My profesor for SPA473 asked what the Mexican equivalent to indian fry bread is and I said buñuelos and he then shouted this quote, which means, "a kiss for you!" and blew me a kiss. He is like 80. The whole class basically broke out into hysterics after this one.





1 comment:

3P said...

I am a BIG fan of the middle-sideways five, if performed properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S9hlKYaxwo